Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review - Mary Kay Foundation Primer

It's been awhile, but I'm back!!  Between back to school and having company last week, I had no time for blogging!!  Hopefully, no more interruptions, distractions, etc.!! Phew!!

Well, I am back with a review of the Mary Kay Foundation Primer.

Now, I know that a lot of people don't care for Mary Kay Products, but I have found products that I do like. For instance, I really like their skincare and their medium coverage foundation.  I own several lipsticks, blushes, etc., and I have no complaints at all.

Since I like Mary Kay products as a whole, I decided to try the Foundation Primer.  It's a fairly new product and prior to purchasing, I did not read reviews on it.   I bought the primer before I started my P10P!  Just letting you know in case you thought I cheated!  I've been a good girl!!  HA! I have not purchased any makeup since I posted that I was doing Project 10 Pan about a month ago.

Okay back to the Foundation Primer review!  This foundation primer retails for $16 for a 1oz. tube of product.  According to the website, this foundation primer "enhances foundation benefits and extends wear. It is an oil free gel formula which is mineral enriched to absorb oil and to diffuse light for skin perfecting benefits.  Product dries to a matte lightweight finish."

I've been using this primer now for about two weeks or so and I am quite disappointed in it.  First of all, there is an odor...YES...an odor.  It smells like paint when you squeeze the product out of the tube.  I've been able to get over that.  Once you apply the product on your face, the smell disappears or perhaps my sense of smell has just gone into major shock.  Not sure which! HA!

Let's talk about the application! The product applies pretty easily, smoothly, etc.  It does dry to a pretty matte and lightweight finish, so we're good there. Also, my foundation applies just fine over it and looks pretty nice so I'm satisfied with the overall application.  BTW, I've used a few different foundations within the last two weeks.

Now, let's fast forward to two hours later.  I look in the mirror and I look like a big shiny ball!  Throw some eggs on my face and we can fry some scrambled eggs.  YUCK!!  I should have taken pictures!  How could I be THAT shiny after two hours?! I have combo/oily skin but I've never been THIS shiny after two hours while using another primer.  Needless to say, my Palladio Rice Paper Blotting Papers have come in handy BIG TIME!

After blotting, my foundation looks okay, but it's the constant blotting that is annoying.  Isn't this primer supposed to absorb oil? Hmmm!  I've been blotting about 3-4 times per day and the norm for me is maybe 2 times per day.

Today was one of those days where my face felt extra gross.  I was super oily by 10am (I applied my makeup close to 8am) and felt like my foundation was just slipping and sliding around my face.  Not sure what's going on.  I've never had an issue like this before, so I am attributing the "oil" to the foundation primer.

I talked to a co-worker who also tried the same foundation primer and she had the exact issue with the primer.  She also has combo/oily skin.  I found that interesting.

My test for the next two weeks is to not wear this foundation primer in order to determine if in fact it's this product that is causing the excess oil on my face or perhaps I am just losing it. HA!  I will be sure to post an update.

Overall, I am not impressed with this product and do not recommend it.  At least not for someone with combo-oily skin.  Who knows? This may work great for someone who has Dry or Normal/Dry skin.

Have any of you tried this primer?  If so, what are your thoughts?  I'm off to check out some reviews on this now!  I'm very curious now!!

Talk to you soon!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Great review! Good to know!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this review I was thinking of buying... now i'm not.So helpful doll ♥

Unknown said...

Lol, the product lost me at 'odor'. Gross. Good to know!

SewCraftyChemist said...

I read the review and thought...meh...I loved it when I used it during the facial. Today I used the one I bought for the first time and it DOES have an odor! LOL!!!

It dissipates but it is certainly noticeable at first. If you have a palette that you use (I use one to mix a little of my foundation with my moisturizer), you can squirt a little out and apply it once the smell goes away :)

FashionFood&Places said...

I recenntly had the same experience with the oiliness.. I don't hv blotting powders so I have to use tissues.

Sadikshya Pokharel said...

Your article is very nice and informative. Thabks for shring it. Please check out my blog

https://sauvewomen.com/cluster-eyelash-extensions/