Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cleaning Makeup Brushes

Hola chicas!  Hope you're all having a great weekend!  It's almost over and that is a bummer, but at least it's been a good one. 

My 2nd oldest turned 9 yesterday!  Happy Birthday RJ!!! He had a great day!  I can't believe he is 9!  Wow!  Time sure flies!  Not sure I like that!

On to the topic now:  Cleaning Makeup Brushes.  Since I am going to be cleaning my brushes today, I thought I would do a post about same. 

Ladies, I can't stress enough how important it is to clean your makeup brushes on a regular basis.  Not only will your skin thank you for keeping your brushes clean, but your brushes will have a longer life span if you take care of them properly. 

Cleaning can be done in two different forms.  There is spot cleaning and then there is deep cleaning and conditioning.  Spot cleaning is just a quickie cleaning/drying of your brushes in between uses.  I know some people use the MAC Brush Cleaner with water in a spray bottle or they use makeup remover wipes.  I'm sure there are tons more ways to spot clean your brushes. 

The other form of cleaning is more of a deeper cleaning and conditioning of your brushes.  Typically this involves using a shampoo/conditioner on your brushes and running your brushes under warm water.  Most of the videos I have seen or articles I have read on brush cleaning, all recommend that you deep clean your brushes at least once a week, especially if you use your brushes on a daily basis. 

Note: Never allow water to seep into the ferrule of the brush.  The ferrule of the brush is the metal part that attaches the brush hair to the handle.  If water seeps into the ferrule, the glue can loosen and the brush hair can fall out or the ferrule can separate from the handle.  Always lay your brushes flat to dry!!!!!

I normally clean my brushes once a week.  In my case, I have a large selection of brushes, so I do use clean brushes everyday and I throw them into a little jar when they are dirty.  At the end of the week, I pull out the jar and my handy dandy cleaning materials and I get to work.


Right now I am using the Sephora Professionnel Purifying Brush Shampoo (anti-bacterial formula).  Overall, it does a great job, but I'm not too crazy about the smell.  I can't even describe the smell...it's just very different and I'll leave it that.  HA!

So here is what I do: 

1.  I run some warm water from the bathroom faucet and wet the hair of each brush. 
2.  I pour a small amount of product onto the palm of my hand and starting with the first brush, I swirl the damp brush into the product.  You can use more product as needed.
3. Once I am satisfied with how the brush looks, I rinse off the brush and lay flat to dry on a towel. 

...and that's all folks!

So I've been on the internet, just looking at different recipes for brush cleaners and I thought I would share some of the ones  I found.  I think I am going to try some of these. 

These are from Tipnut.com

Recipe #1
1 cup Distilled Water
2 TBS Rubbing Alcohol
1 TBS Baby Shampoo

Recipe #2
1/2 cup Warm Water
1/4 cup Vinegar

Recipe #3
1 cup Warm Water
1 tsp Liquid Castile Soap

Recipe #4
1 cup Warm Water
1 TBS Baby Shampoo

Recipe #5
1/4 cup Warm Water
1 TBS Woolite

Recipe #6
1 cup Warm Water
1 TBS Liquid Dish Detergent

Recipe #7
1 cup Warm Water
1 TBS Baby Shampoo
1/2 tsp Tea Tree Oil


Talk to you guys soon!!

No comments: